Hong Kong’s railway operator has ordered HK$6 billion worth of trains from China, in an effort to replace the city’s fleet of UK-made first-generation locomotives, which have been in service for up to 36 years.
In a statement released on Wednesday, MTR Corporation said that an order for 93 new eight-car trains had been placed, the largest-ever order of new trains for the company. The new trains will be delivered between 2018 and 2023.
The contract was awarded following a rigorous tendering process, in which tenders from internationally renowned suppliers were thoroughly reviewed.
MTR chief executive officer Lincoln Leong said: “This is the largest-ever order of new trains in MTR’s history and it represents a critically important investment to maintain our railway service at world-class levels to ensure that our passengers in Hong Kong continue to enjoy safe, reliable and convenient train services well into the future.”
Previously, problems were also discovered on Hong Kong trains assembled by overseas companies. In 2007, a Japanese train short-circuited and caught fire while running on the West Rail Line, injuring 11. In 2005, water seepage was also found on Spanish trains operating on the Tung Chung Line.